Being a woman, you sure have many problems; periods bring menstrual cramps, menopause brings hormonal changes and most of you have low bone density and suffer from hypertension, not to mention the emotional issues and difficulties in your career and home, so you don’t need to add vaginal infections to the list of stressful concerns, do you?
About yeast infection
A healthy vagina of any woman has a large number of bacteria and a few yeast cells in it. The body maintains appropriate acidic environment in the vagina with the help of the bacteria present. If pH of the vaginal area is disturbed due to some reason, i.e. if it becomes less acidic, then the yeast take benefit of the situation and start multiplying and spreading. The overgrowth of a fungus of the name Candida albicans causes the said infection.
These infections are very common although in most cases they are not very problematic. But, for some women, this problem becomes severe as well as chronic.
Symptoms and diagnoses –
The signs and symptoms are mostly similar to that of sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhoea and Chlamydia.
- Itchiness is most common even in mild cases.
- Burning occurs while urinating if you leave it untreated for long.
- Sometimes you can also find that the vaginal area is sore and red; in such instances, pain is also experienced.
- Rashes are also very frequent of the occurring symptoms.
- If you find thick and white discharge in your panties, then it is a sure case of a yeast infection.
There are many reasons why you get vaginal infection. It may have been a reaction to the hormonal changes during periods, due to stress or lack of sleep or it might be because you have unhealthy eating habits. Eating lots of sugary foods can cause many imbalances in your body, which in turn cause the infection. The medicines you take like antibiotics, birth control pills, etc. can also become a factor to stimulate the infection.
- Consult a doctor if you think you have the symptoms. A gynaecologist will help you diagnose and cure it.
- Avoid scented products of douches, sanitary pads and tampons or change them often.
- Tight clothes made of synthetic fibres are not sensible in warm weathers.
And most important of all, keep your vaginal area clean by using medicinal soaps and rinsing well.